To perform testing assignments which are generally standardized but may require devising some special apparatus or technique. Generally follows prescribed work methods or explicit instructions. May troubleshoot certain malfunctioning equipment and make simple repairs. Extracts, processes, and summarizes test data. Performs routine analysis to check accuracy, applicability, and reasonableness of data.
The essential functions of the position include, but are not limited to the following:
- Conducts standard laboratory and industry tests to determine nature and physical properties of various raw materials, compounds, and coated products. Trials are conducted in lab as well as running trials in the plant
- Utilizes laboratory test equipment and methods sometimes modifying the equipment to meet special test requirements. Records test results in laboratory record book, provides basic interpretation for data gathered, and prepares reports of data for further interpretation by supervisor.
- Fabricates laboratory samples using standard or experimentally prepared compounds with web stocks as prescribed by supervisor or R&D professionals.
- Coordinates testing with customers and vendors on relevant PS test methods as needed in the lab.
- Occasionally assists in oversight of plant trial runs with R&D professionals.
- Assists process and product improvement efforts through the application of designed experimentation, including appropriate statistical techniques to lead efforts in experimental planning and analysis.
- Assists in the identification, training, application and utilization of statistical techniques for product, process and other areas of opportunity. Assists others within the facility with structured planning and analysis techniques for special projects and studies.
- Maintains clean equipment and work area and routinely assists in cleaning or servicing the laboratory.
- Adheres to the Laboratory Chemical Hygiene plan during all phases of work in the lab/plant.
- Reports experimental results to internal personnel.
- Supplies customers with lab prepared samples for testing which are clean and of the proper construction. Samples are to be properly labeled and tested prior to submission.
- Works primarily on assigned shift, but may be required to work alternate shifts as needed to support the business needs.
- Performs other duties as needed and assigned by supervisor.
- Verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to interact with all levels of personnel both within and outside Mactac
- Working knowledge of personal computers (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Math skills with emphasis on measurable impact of mathematical calculations
- Ability to work independently and as a team player
- High School Diploma or equivalency
- Minimum Two-year degree required. Preferred emphasis on Math and Chemistry.
- 3 – 7 years of experience. Industry related experience (i.e. coatings, structural adhesives, packaging adhesives, hot melt carton-sealing adhesives, plastics compounding) may be acceptable
- Valid Driver’s License
- Frequent contact with various levels of Mactac personnel
- Occasional to consistent interaction with customers and vendors – demonstrational purposes only
- Frequently required to stand, walk, sit, bend and reach.
- Must be able to utilize all laboratory equipment (lab coaters, lab mixers, UV curing units, Instron and shear tester to determine performance of PSAs).
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Reasonable accommodations will be considered on a case by case basis.
- Eye protection is mandatory in all laboratory and manufacturing environments.
- Up to 15% travel with an R&D professional.
NOTE: The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
|Job Category||Research and Development|