To utilize standard laboratory equipment and methods to perform laboratory testing of physical properties of various raw materials, compounds and coated products. Test results are used to compare against specifications, controls or developmental performance goals for standard production. Work will follow prescribed test methods or explicit instructions with standard testing or processing equipment of moderate complexity in the preparation and evaluation of materials and products.
Generally requires management support and supervision to handle intermediate to difficult issues.
The essential functions of the position include, but are not limited to the following:
- Performs routine QC laboratory tests to determine the physical properties and performance of various raw materials, compounds, and coated products.
- Utilizes standard laboratory test equipment and standardized test methods. Records test results on forms or in laboratory notebook and prepares reports of data for interpretation by supervisor.
- Coordinates product sampling per SOP and internal sampling plans.
- Performs testing for verification of conformance to specifications and verification of correlation with on-line measurement equipment.
- Maintains lab measurement systems performance including calibration control programs and measurement systems performance appraisals.
- Evaluates lab measurement systems by reproduction and repetitive studies to identify measurement systems variation components.
- Performs additional testing in support of the Quality department, including claims assessment.
- Performs additional testing in support of the R&D department, including assisting with plant trials by testing samples in the lab during a trial run.
- Reviews off coater data sheets and adhesive gauge scans for conformance to specifications.
- Participates in lab 5S program by maintaining clean equipment, organized work area and routinely assists in cleaning or servicing the laboratory.
- Adheres to the Laboratory Chemical Hygiene plan during all phases of work in the lab/plant.
- Reports results to internal personnel as needed.
- Assists in writing and review of Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) or Mactac Test Methods (MTM) as assigned.
- Works primarily on assigned shift, but may be required to work alternate shifts as needed to support the business needs.
- Performs other duties as needed and assigned by supervisor.
- Verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to interact will all levels of personnel within MACtac.
- Working knowledge of personal computers (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
- Math skills with emphasis on measurable impact of mathematical calculations
- Ability to work independently
- High School Diploma or equivalency
- Two year degree preferred with emphasis on Math and Chemistry highly desirable.
- 1 – 3 years of experience. Industry related experience (i.e. coatings, structural adhesives, packaging adhesives, hot melt carton-sealing adhesives, plastics compounding) may be acceptable.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Frequent contact with various levels of Mactac personnel
- Minimal interaction with customers and vendors – demonstrational purposes only
- Frequently required to stand, walk, sit, bend and reach.
- Must be able to utilize all laboratory equipment (ex. tensile tester, shear tester, rheometer, spectrophotometer, x-ray fluorometer, etc. to determine performance of PSAs).
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Reasonable accommodations will be considered on a case by case basis.
- Eye protection is mandatory in all laboratory and manufacturing environments.
NOTE: The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.